Venus Raj


Maria Venus Raj was born in Doha, Qatar on July 7, 1988 to a Filipina mother and Indian father. She grew up in Bato, Camarines Sur, Philippines where she lived in a house without electricity and was made of bamboo, wood and anahaw leaves. However, this did not deter her to obtain a degree in Communication Arts from Bicol University with honors.

Prior to joining the Miss Universe 2010 pageant in Las Vegas, Nevada, she was crowned Bb. Pilipinas-Universe 2010. She was also Miss Bicolandia 2007 and Miss Philippines Earth Eco Tourism 2008.


Venus became controversial after she was dethroned as Bb. Pilipinas-Universe 2010 because of citizenship issues. However, she was able to prove her Filipino citizenship and was allowed to represent the Philippines in the Miss Universe 2010 pageant. She placed fourth runner-up to Ximena Navarrete of Mexico.

She became a trending topic on twitter right after the pageant because of her answer to actor William Baldwin's question about the biggest mistake that she made in her life and what she did to make it right. She replied, "You know what, Sir, in my 22 years of existence, I can say that there's nothing major,major, I mean problem that I've done in my life because I'm very confident with my family, with the love that they are giving to me. So thank you so much that I'm here. Thank you, thank you so much!" Her answer received different reactions and comments. Nonetheless, it just showed that she was able to keep her life on the right track because of her family's love and support.

Her statement on why she really wanted to gain her title back was also noteworthy: “My fight is now more than just chasing a dream. It is about clearing my soiled reputation. It is about standing up for people who are poor and born out of wedlock. It is a fight for acceptance."